Sept 8, 2022
How to apply for TN Visa?
The procedure for obtaining a TN visa differs for Canadian and Mexican citizens. The applicant must be entering the U.S. to engage in professional activities in a profession that is listed in the article.
- The employers need to submit an I-129 (Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker) with the TN visa application.
- Apply for TN nonimmigrant status at a CBP-designated U.S. port with proof of Canadian citizenship, employment letter and credentials evaluation (if applicable).
- Submit the DS-160 and required documentation to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- Attend an interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate and receive a visa number.
- Once approved, applicants can apply for entrance at select CBP-designated U.S. ports.
Eligible Occupations - USMCA Professionals CategoryFor most of USMCA occupations listed below, Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree is a minimum education requirement. List of eligible professions under the USMCA Professionals category:
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster
- Graphic Designer
- Hotel Manager
- Industrial Designer
- Land Surveyor
- Landscape Architect
- Lawyer (including Notary in the Province of Quebec)
- Management Consultant
- Mathematician (including Statistician)
- Range Manager/Range Conservationalist
- Research Assistant (working in a post-secondary educational institution)
- Scientific Technician/Technologist
- Social Worker
- Sylviculturist (including Forestry Specialist)
- Technical Publications Writer
- Urban Planner (including Geographer)
- Vocational Counsellor
- Medical Laboratory Technologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Physician (teaching or research only)
- Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist
- Recreational Therapist
- Registered Nurse
- Agriculturist (including Agronomist)
- Animal Breeder
- Animal Scientist
- Dairy Scientist
- Geophysicist (including Oceanographer in Mexico and the United States)
- Physicist (including Oceanographer in Canada)
- Plant Breeder
- Poultry Scientist
- Soil Scientist