Canada Study Permit enables study and work with designated enrolment, evidence of funds, health checks, clean record, and exit plans post-studies.
A Study Permit enables international students to study at a school in Canada. Their family members can also apply for visas to accompany an international student to Canada. A spouse or partner may receive an open work permit, allowing them to work for any Canadian employer, and dependent children may receive a study permit to enroll at Canadian elementary and secondary schools.
We recommend students start applying to schools and for a Study Permit early, as it may take up to 6 months to get a school acceptance letter, and up to 4 months for the Canadian government to approve your visa. Most international students also arrive in Canada weeks before classes begin to adjust to a brand new environment.
You may be eligible if you:
Are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
Prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses and return transportation
Obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate
Are in good health and get a medical exam
Prove that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires
If your application is approved, you will be issued a visa to enter Canada in addition to your Study Permit.
Student Direct Stream (SDS)
This is a faster way to obtain a study permit for applicants from certain countries. SDS has additional requirements, in addition to the requirements of a regular study permit.
- be a legal resident living in one of the SDS countries, including Antigua and Barbuda, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago and Vietnam
- live outside of Canada when you apply
- have proof you have paid your tuition for your first year of study
- have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$20,635
- have a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration This is only if you’re planning to study in Quebec
- have your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s)
- have a language test result that shows any of the following:
- CAEL: a minimum overall score of 60;
- CELPIP General: a score that is equivalent to a CLB score of at least 7 for each ability;
- IELTS Academic: a minimum overall score of at least 6;
- IELTS General: a score that is equivalent to a CLB score of at least 7 for each ability;
- TCF Canada: a score that is equivalent to a CLB score of at least 7 for each ability;
- TCF Tout public: a minimum overall score of 400;
- TEF Canada: a score that is equivalent to a CLB score of at least 7 for each ability;
- TEF 5 épreuves : a minimum overall score of 400 (“Lexique/Structure” is not required for SDS);
- TOEFL iBTL: a minimum overall score of at least 83;
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic: a minimum overall score of 60.
Depending on where you’re applying from, you may also need to provide other documents.
Even though getting a study permit is faster through SDS, we still recommend students to start applying for schools and study permits early, as it may take up to 6 months to get a school acceptance letter and around 1 month for the government to approve your SDS study permit application. Most international students also arrive weeks early to adjust to a brand new environment.
If Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) approves your application, IRCC will issue you a visa to enter Canada in addition to your study permit.
Check your eligibility now!
How It Works
- 1Create An Account
Do an eligibility check, or pick a visa, or just sign up directly to create an account. Then you can see all the documents needed, questions you must answer, and fee payments for our services and to the government. If you have any questions, it is easy to contact our sales team or to schedule a call.
- 2Eligibility Confirmation Before Payment
First you will answer a few questions to ensure you are eligible for the visa. Only if you are eligible will the payment unlock. Making payment assigns an immigration lawyer or regulated consultant to your application. We are transparent in our process and pricing, and clearly list all the fees and processing times for your visa. Read our Transparency Pledge. We use Stripe for credit or debit card payment processing, which is secure and encrypted.
- 3Complete Your Application Online
You can complete as many of the application tasks you wish before payment. Take your time. Some visas require a lot of information, which requires answering questionnaires and uploading of documents. Our system ensures everything necessary is gathered depending on your situation - preventing errors and omissions - and saving you time.
- 4Visa Preparation and Submission
Once all the tasks are completed, our experts will review your answers and start preparing your application so that the best case is best presented. Government fees are also due once the application is completed and we can correctly calculate the government fees due. After a final review by you, and by our experts, your application will be submitted! You will have peace of mind that only comes with an accurate application.
- 5Approval and Renewals
We notify you when your visa is approved! If there are any questions or rejections from the government, we will answer them and resubmit without any further fees from us. We securely store your immigration documents for 7 years and provide alerts well before any expiry dates. Renewing or taking the next step toward citizenship is easy when all your immigration history is in one place.
Some documents you will need to provide, and some documents we may prepare for you.
- Digital Photo of Visa Applicant
- Letter of Acceptance
- Passport Biographic Page
- Proof of Employment - Outside of Canada
- Proof of Funds
- Proof of Tuition Payment
- Study Plan