Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) - Work Permit
The Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) - Work Permit is a program under Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker Program that allows Canadian employers to hire foreign workers by obtaining a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Once approved, the foreign worker may apply for their Canadian work permit.
Are you looking to hire or retain employees in Canada that are foreign nationals?
Most Canadian employers must receive approval from the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) before they can hire a foreign national. This application is called the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Employers typically need to meet a set of requirements, show significant efforts in trying to recruit Canadians for the position and attend an interview with an ESDC officer.
We recommend employers to hire a professional in their LMIA application, so that they comply with requirements on recruitment efforts and get necessary training for their interview. Employers should also start the application process early, as it may take up to 5 months for the Canadian government to approve the LMIA application.
To start the process, business owners will need to decide if the position they are hiring for falls under the Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIA) Stream for Low-Wage Positions or Stream for High-Wage Positions:
If you are offering a wage to a temporary foreign worker that is
At or above the provincial or territorial median hourly wage, the application will be under the Stream for High-Wage Positions
Below the provincial or territorial median hourly wage, the application will be under the Stream for Low-Wage Positions
However, before hiring a temporary foreign worker (TFW), the employer must try to hire Canadians and permanent residents.
Please note that:
- This LMIA application can also be used to support a permanent residence application.
- The employer is always required to pay government processing fee for this LMIA application.
- Employer may use the LMIA to hire one or more foreign workers under the same job title.
Services provided by SuperVisas and its Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs):
- assess your qualifications for the Labour Market Impact Assessment and/or the Global Talent Stream Program.
- provide your with a checklist of information and documents required in support of your application.
- guide your through the process of obtaining required documents such as medical and security clearances.
- complete the application forms to ensure that they best show your qualifications.
- review your application package including application forms, supporting documents and Canadian Government processing fees.
- guide, provide editing comments with regard to your application.
- submit your complete application package to the Canadian government.
- communicate any government request to you and assist you in responding to any government request.
- communicate the result of your application from the government.
- Quick and easy online application
- Lower cost than traditional lawyers
- Peace of mind of expert review
- $1 million in application insurance
- Secure document storage
How It Works
- 1Create An Account
Create an account and either check your eligibility, or pick an application to start. We start by asking questions specific to the visa to ensure your eligibility. This can be quick and simple, such as for visitor visas, or may require entering multiple questionnaires. If you have any questions, there are no fees to contact our immigration experts by email, WeChat, WhatsApp or by booking a call.
- 2Confirmation Before Payment
Our immigration consultants will check your answers and double-check your profile to confirm you meet the minimum requirements of a program. Only if you are eligible will we move you to the payment stage. At this time you must pay the SuperVisas fee. We are transparent in our process and pricing, and clearly list all the fees and processing times for your visa. We use Stripe for credit or debit card payment processing, which is secure and encrypted. Government fees are paid later when the completed application is submitted and once we can correctly calculate the various government fees due. It can be complicated, but we guide you through the process.
- 3Complete Your Application Online
Now, you can finish your application. There will be some "tasks", or many, for you to complete depending on your visa, such as entering your education achievements, employment history and/or dependent information. This can take time and will require answering more questionnaires and uploading of documents. Our system ensures everything necessary is gathered depending on your specific situation - preventing errors and omissions - while at the same time saving you money. Our immigration experts prepare your application so that your case is best presented to the visa officers. After a final review by you, and by our experts, your application will be submitted! You will have peace of mind that only comes with a complete and accurate application.
- 4Approval and Renewals
We will notify you when your visa is approved! We securely store your immigration documents for 7 years and will provide you alerts well before any expiry dates. Renewing visas or taking the next step down the immigration pathway toward citizenship is easy when all your immigration history is in one place. We also understand that moving to a new country can be difficult and hard to navigate. If needed, we will provide guides and referrals to our affiliate partners to help.
You’ll need the following documents if you decide to apply to this visa.
- Ability to fulfill terms of the job offer
- Canadian Job Offer
- CV (résumé) of intended employee
- LMIA Transition Plan
- Proof of Address
- Proof of Costal Trade
- Proof of Providing a Good or Service