Meta Pixel
Apr 5, 2023
Express Entry

Can I leave Canada after submitting my PR application?

Permanent residence applicants in Canada can travel to their home country while their application is processed.

Can I leave Canada after submitting my PR application?

When a candidate applies for one of the three programs under the Express Entry system and receives an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence (PR) in Canada through an Express Entry draw, they must submit an electronic Application for Permanent residence (eAPR) to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Successful Express Entry applicants have 60 days to complete this process, which involves filling out the appropriate form on their IRCC profile, ensuring all required documents are included, verifying the completeness and accuracy of their answers to eAPR questions, and paying the necessary fees.

If permanent residence (PR) applicants submit their eAPR from within Canada, they are typically permitted to travel to their home country while their application is being processed. Regardless of whether the applicant has just received their ITA, or has submitted their PR application, they must possess the necessary documents for re-entry to Canada. This includes a valid passport and depending on the purpose of their return, a valid Canadian work or study permit, and/or a valid visitor visa or electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), unless they are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

It is important to note that visitor visas, also called Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs), may only be required for re-entry to Canada if specified by the destination country.

In addition, eligible foreign skilled workers in Canada can remain in the country between the expiry of their current work permit and the final decision on their eAPR if they apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). Suppose a foreign national who has submitted an eAPR wishes to apply for a BOWP. In that case, they may travel during the eAPR processing period as long as they are not under-maintained status and they will return to Canada before their work permit expires.

To be eligible for a BOWP, interested candidates must meet certain criteria, which include having a valid work permit, maintained status and authorization to work in Canada due to applying to renew their work permit, or be eligible to restore their temporary resident status with authorization to work on a work permit.

It is important to note that if the foreign national is from a country requiring a TRV, they must obtain a valid TRV or eTA for re-entry to Canada.

SuperVisas Scribe
TeamSuperVisas Scribe
LinkedIn logo
Facebook logo
Twitter logo