Apr 13, 2023
The Process and Fee of the O-1A Extraordinary Ability Visa
In general, it takes USCIS between 4-6 months from the time an application is filed to process an O-1A petition.
- Approve the case. If your application is approved, USCIS will mail an approval notice in Form I-797.
- Issue a Request for Additional Evidence (RFE) or Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID). If the USCIS officer reviews your case and decides that there is insufficient evidence for approval, the officer can ask you to provide additional evidence to support specific points in the application. Generally, USCIS allows up to 84 days to respond to an RFE and a NOID.
- Deny your application without an RFE or a NOID. If this occurs, a client can request that USCIS reopens their case or appeal the decision to an Appeals Board.
- If filing within the U.S., the applicant will file form I-129 Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker. The fee is $460.
- The application is eligible for premium processing for an additional $2,500.
- If the applicant will be seeking their O-1A Visa at a U.S. consulate, the visa application fee is $190.