Programs / Work / Work Permit for Start-up Visa

Work Permit for Start-up Visa


About the Application

You can apply for a work permit under the International Mobility Program before submitting an application for permanent residence under the Start-Up Visa (SUV) Program. Only foreign nationals who have received a Commitment Certificate and Letter of Support issued by a designated entity may be considered for a work permit. The designated entity must support the request for a work permit. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply for a work permit. You do not need to apply for permanent residence first. Note: Your Commitment Certificate is valid for six months from the day it is issued. You must submit your application for permanent residence before it expires, whether you apply for a work permit or not.


To be eligible for a work permit, you must: - plan to live in a province or territory other than Quebec - pay the employer compliance fee - have received a Commitment Certificate and a Letter of Support from a designated entity indicating that you are “essential” and there are urgent business reasons for your early entry to Canada (i.e. section 8.0 of the Commitment Certificate is completed) and - have sufficient funds to meet the low income cut off for your family for 52 weeks Before submitting an application for a work permit, you must submit your ‘self-employed’ offer of employment, as well as pay the $230 employer compliance fee, via the online Employer Portal. In most cases, you have to submit your application from outside Canada. However, you may be eligible to apply from inside Canada. Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements depending on where you plan to apply for your work permit.

Family's Visas

Your spouse and children can apply for visas at the same time as you do, to come to Canada. Your spouse can apply for a Spouse Open Work Permit that'd allow them to work in Canada and your children can apply for a Study Permit or Visitor Visa that'd allow them to study in Canada.

Government FeesAmount (per person)
Employer Compliance Fee$230 CAD
Work Permit Fee$155 CAD
Biometric Fees per family of 2 or more (if applicable)$170 CAD
Biometric Fees$85 CAD
Secondary FeesAmount (per person)
Translation and Notarization Fees$0 CAD
Medical Examination Fee$250 CAD
Application StreamAverage Processing Time
Work Permit for Start-up VisaVaries from outside Canada; 5 months from inside Canada