Study Permit - Student Direct Stream
Student Direct Stream (SDS) allows international students from certain countries to apply for their study permit faster. Students need to meet additional requirements applying through SDS.
Are you looking to continue your studies in Canada? If so, you likely need a study permit.
A study permit enables international students to study at a school in Canada. Family members can also apply for visas to accompany an international student to Canada. The spouse or partner may receive an open work permit, allowing them to work for any Canadian employer, and dependent children may receive a study permit to study at Canadian elementary and secondary schools.
Student Direct Stream (SDS)
Student Direct Stream (SDS) is a faster way to obtain a study permit for applicants from certain countries. SDS has additional requirements, in addition to the requirements of a regular study permit.
To qualify for
- be a legal resident living in 1 of the following countries:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution
- live outside of Canada when you apply
- have proof you have paid your tuition for your first year of study
- have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000
- have a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration
- This is only if you’re planning to study in Quebec
- get a medical exam before you apply
- get a police certificate before you apply
- have your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s)
- have a language test result that shows either:
- an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) academic or general training score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening), or
- a Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
Depending on where you’re applying from, you may also need to provide other documents.
Even though getting a study permit is faster through SDS, we still recommend students to start applying for schools and study permits early, as it may take up to 6 months to get a school acceptance letter and around 1 month for the government to approve your SDS study permit application. Most international students also arrive weeks early to adjust to a brand new environment.
If Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) approves your application, IRCC will issue you a visa to enter Canada in addition to your study permit.
Services provided by SuperVisas and its Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs):
assess your qualifications for the Study Permit Program.
provide you with a checklist of information and documents required in support of your application.
guide you through the process of obtaining required documents such as medical and security clearances.
complete the application forms to ensure that they best show your qualifications.
review your application package including application forms, supporting documents and Canadian Government processing fees.
guide, provide editing comments with regard to your application.
submit your complete application package to the Canadian government.
communicate any government requests to you and assist you in responding to any government requests.
communicate the result of your application from the government.
How It Works
- 1Create An Account
Create an account and either check your eligibility, or pick an application to start. We start by asking questions specific to the visa to ensure your eligibility. This can be quick and simple, such as for visitor visas, or may require entering multiple questionnaires. If you have any questions, there are no fees to contact our immigration experts by email, WeChat, WhatsApp or by booking a call.
- 2Confirmation Before Payment
Our immigration consultants will check your answers and double-check your profile to confirm you meet the minimum requirements of a program. Only if you are eligible will we move you to the payment stage. At this time you must pay the SuperVisas fee. We are transparent in our process and pricing, and clearly list all the fees and processing times for your visa. We use Stripe for credit or debit card payment processing, which is secure and encrypted. Government fees are paid later when the completed application is submitted and once we can correctly calculate the various government fees due. It can be complicated, but we guide you through the process.
- 3Complete Your Application Online
Now, you can finish your application. There will be some "tasks", or many, for you to complete depending on your visa, such as entering your education achievements, employment history and/or dependent information. This can take time and will require answering more questionnaires and uploading of documents. Our system ensures everything necessary is gathered depending on your specific situation - preventing errors and omissions - while at the same time saving you money. Our immigration experts prepare your application so that your case is best presented to the visa officers. After a final review by you, and by our experts, your application will be submitted! You will have peace of mind that only comes with a complete and accurate application.
- 4Approval and Renewals
We will notify you when your visa is approved! We securely store your immigration documents for 7 years and will provide you alerts well before any expiry dates. Renewing visas or taking the next step down the immigration pathway toward citizenship is easy when all your immigration history is in one place. We also understand that moving to a new country can be difficult and hard to navigate. If needed, we will provide guides and referrals to our affiliate partners to help.
You’ll need the following documents if you decide to apply to this visa.
- Digital Photo of Visa Applicant
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)
- Language Test Result
- Letter of Acceptance
- Most Recent Diploma and Transcript
- Proof of Means of Financial Support
- Proof of Medical Exam
- Proof of Tuition Payment
- Study Plan