Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) - Establish a New Business
The Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) - Establish a New Business program is a program under Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker Program that allows entrepreneurs and investors who wish to establish a new business in Canada to apply for a LMIA to support the hiring of their work permit or permanent residence applications.
Are you looking to create a new business and gain permanent residency in Canada? You may be eligible for the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) - Establish a New Business Program
You may be eligible if you have proof of:
Previous active engagement in the business before apply for a work permit
Financial investment in a business
Business contracts or negotiations of business contracts ( such as signing a lease)
Applying for a Business Number (BN) registration with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
Applying and receiving licences or permits
After you have shown proof of setting up a new business in Canada, you will need to create a job position for yourself as an employee of the business and apply for the Owner- Operator Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
The Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that employers might have to use before hiring a foreign worker. This assessment tells an employer whether or not their foreign worker can be employed. A positive LMIA means that the employer can hire their foreign worker. Once the employer receives the positive LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit.
To qualify, you must prove:
Business control: Either you are the sole owner of the business or have majority share
Benefit to Canada: Proof that your business will contribute to the Canadian job market
Active Business Management: Through creation of a Business Plan and your business management experience
In this case, the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) will be you as you are the business owner creating a job for yourself as an employee. Once you receive the work permit, you can apply through Express Entry and start the process of becoming a permanent resident of Canada.
Please note that:
- If the LMIA will be used in a work permit application, the employer is required to pay government processing fee.
- Employer may use the LMIA to hire one or more foreign workers under the same job title.
Services provided by SuperVisas and its Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs):
- assess your qualifications for the Labour Market Impact Assessment and/or the Global Talent Stream Program.
- provide your with a checklist of information and documents required in support of your application.
- guide you through the process of obtaining required documents such as medical and security clearances.
- complete the application forms to ensure that they best show your qualifications.
- review your application package including application forms, supporting documents and Canadian Government processing fees.
- guide, provide editing comments with regard to your application.
- submit your complete application package to the Canadian government.
- communicate any government request to you and assist you in responding to any government request.
- communicate the result of your application from the government.
- Quick and easy online application
- Lower cost than traditional lawyers
- Peace of mind of expert review
- $1 million in application insurance
- Secure document storage
How It Works
- 1Create An Account
Create an account and either check your eligibility, or pick an application to start. We start by asking questions specific to the visa to ensure your eligibility. This can be quick and simple, such as for visitor visas, or may require entering multiple questionnaires. If you have any questions, there are no fees to contact our immigration experts by email, WeChat, WhatsApp or by booking a call.
- 2Confirmation Before Payment
Our immigration consultants will check your answers and double-check your profile to confirm you meet the minimum requirements of a program. Only if you are eligible will we move you to the payment stage. At this time you must pay the SuperVisas fee. We are transparent in our process and pricing, and clearly list all the fees and processing times for your visa. We use Stripe for credit or debit card payment processing, which is secure and encrypted. Government fees are paid later when the completed application is submitted and once we can correctly calculate the various government fees due. It can be complicated, but we guide you through the process.
- 3Complete Your Application Online
Now, you can finish your application. There will be some "tasks", or many, for you to complete depending on your visa, such as entering your education achievements, employment history and/or dependent information. This can take time and will require answering more questionnaires and uploading of documents. Our system ensures everything necessary is gathered depending on your specific situation - preventing errors and omissions - while at the same time saving you money. Our immigration experts prepare your application so that your case is best presented to the visa officers. After a final review by you, and by our experts, your application will be submitted! You will have peace of mind that only comes with a complete and accurate application.
- 4Approval and Renewals
We will notify you when your visa is approved! We securely store your immigration documents for 7 years and will provide you alerts well before any expiry dates. Renewing visas or taking the next step down the immigration pathway toward citizenship is easy when all your immigration history is in one place. We also understand that moving to a new country can be difficult and hard to navigate. If needed, we will provide guides and referrals to our affiliate partners to help.
You’ll need the following documents if you decide to apply to this visa.
- Job Offer
- Proof of Job Advertisement
- Recruitment Summary
- Transition Plan